UChicago Faculty Physicians who provide services at UChicago Medicine Ingalls Memorial are not employees or agents of UChicago Medicine Ingalls Memorial.
His specific recent interest and expertise has been in treatment of lymphedema – chronic swelling of the limbs that occurs in some patients who undergo cancer surgery with lymph node removal and/or receive radiation therapy. Dr. Chang has helped develop and promote procedures such as lymphaticovenular bypass and vascularized lymph node transfers using a surgical microscope to improve the lymphatic drainage. He has also served as the principal investigator on several clinical studies of complex reconstructive microsurgery in cancer patients. His work was instrumental in introducing lymphaticovenular bypass and lymph node transfer to U.S. operating rooms.
Dr. Chang has published more than 140 peer-reviewed research articles in high-impact journals as well as numerous book chapters. He co-edited a book Lymphedema Surgery. He frequently is invited to speak at national and international conferences on oncologic reconstructive surgery, and has been invited as a visiting professor at leading medical centers worldwide.
In addition to teaching, Dr. Chang has served as a faculty mentor for medical student, residents and clinical and research fellows. Since 2001, Best Doctors Inc. has named Dr. Chang one of the Best Doctors in America.
Dr. Chang is on the editorial board of numerous leading medical journals, including Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. He is a board examiner for American Society of Plastic Surgery and a member of Board of Directors for American Society of Plastic Surgery, and was a recipient of the prestigious Godina Traveling Fellowship from American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery in 2005.
Dr. Chang is the program director of the prestigious UChicago Medicine Microsurgery Fellowship. He is also currently serving as the president of the American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery and the vice president of the World Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery.
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgery of the Hand
Memberships & Medical Societies
- International Confederation of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Christian Medical and Dental Association
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- European Skull Base Society
- Korean American Medical Association
- Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Plastic Surgery Research Council
- American Society for Peripheral Nerve
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons
- World Society For Reconstructive Microsurgery
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences System; Albert Einstein Medical Center
- Microsurgical Transplantation and Replantation Center
News & ResearchView Published Papers
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
Our list of accepted insurance providers is subject to change at any time. You should contact your insurance company to confirm UChicago Medicine participates in their network before scheduling your appointment. If your insurance company is not listed here, or if you have any other questions, please contact Managed.Care@uchospitals.edu.
To Request an Appointment
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient