Browse our press releases by year:
2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | Archived Releases
News releases related to biology and medicine are posted online on the date of their embargo. Our releases are accessible to qualified journalists on EurekAlert!, an online news resource sponsored by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and Newswise, a press release distribution service. We will share embargoed news releases and manuscripts on request.
UChicago Medicine News Office
The News Office is available to assist journalists and media professionals with breaking news, as well as finding expert health care sources, including physicians and researchers.
Primary media line
After normal business hours
773-753-1880; Press 8026 to page our on-call team member. We will respond as soon as we are able.
Media Requests Regarding Patient Conditions & Hospital Access
In an effort to assist journalists, the media relations team can provide patient updates in certain cases and grant limited access to medical center property.
- We are able to release only one-word conditions for patients involved in an incident of public record. (For additional information, visit the American Hospital Association’s HIPAA Privacy Regulations Overview.)
- We will respond to requests for the condition of a patient during normal business hours.
- Media must provide a patient’s first and last name.
- Information beyond a one-word status requires written authorization from the patient or legal representative.
- We do not provide condition updates on children without written authorization from a parent or guardian.
- Working journalists on hospital property must be escorted by a media relations representative. Please note certain streets on the Hyde Park medical campus are private property and cannot be used for live shots or standups. (Contact the media relations office to find out what streets are public.)
Skip Hidlay, Chief Communications and Marketing Officer
Lorna W.S. (Lim) Wong, Executive Director, Communications and Content Strategy
Administrative/executive issues, labor management, hospital finance, health policy and insurance, affiliations, urban and community health
Ashley Heher, Assistant Director of Media Relations
Orthopedics and sports medicine, medical education (Pritzker School of Medicine), MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics, doctor-patient relations (Bucksbaum Institute for Clinical Excellence)
John Easton, Senior Science Writer/Media Relations
Cancer, heart and vascular, pulmonology, nephrology, imaging-radiology, radiation therapy, pathology, anesthesiology, biomedical and basic science, emergency medicine
Matt Wood, Senior Science Writer/Media Relations
Transplants, neurology and neuroscience/psychiatry, genetics, biology, evolution, digestive diseases, celiac disease, diabetes, burn injuries and care, health care social media, medical technology
Kat Carlton, Media Relations Specialist
Women’s health (obstetrics and gynecology), children’s health (pediatrics), Comer Children’s Hospital
RSS News Feed
Subscribe to our news RSS feed to get our press releases delivered directly to your desktop. View our feed in your RSS reader.
What Is RSS?
Really Simple Syndication (RSS) is designed for sharing news and other Web content. RSS allows a person's computer to fetch and display this shared information in a simple format. Our feed is updated each time we post a new press release.
How Do I Get an RSS Reader?
There are free RSS readers (also called RSS aggregators) that you can download from the Internet. In addition, most new browsers have built-in support for RSS feeds.