We want to make it as easy as possible for you to request copies of your medical records. In compliance with state and federal regulations, you must submit your request in writing. It is also subject to a charge.If you have questions please contact us at 773-702-1637
Frequently Asked Questions: Medical Records Request
You can request a copy of your health information by completing a request and authorization form (PDF).
You can submit this form to the University of Chicago Medicine by mail or in person. A complete list of UChicago Medicine addresses and phone numbers is included within the instructions for completing the request and authorization form (PDF).
If you are submitting your request in person on the UChicago Medicine campus, you may do so from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at one of the following locations:
Existing patients who have signed up for MyChart may log in to view medical records. If you recently had an appointment, please review your After Visit Summary to find an activation code and instructions on how to access your MyChart account. If you are unable to locate the activation code or need assistance, please contact UCM Connect at 1-888-824-0200.
The following people are authorized to sign for release of health information:
- The patient; not the spouse
- Power of attorney if the patient is unable to sign; legal document must be provided
- Parent, if the patient is younger than age 18
- Parent and minor if the patient is 12 to 17 years of age and receiving psychiatric, alcohol or drug treatment services
- Legal guardian; proof of guardianship document must be provided
- Representative of the estate for deceased patients. Copy of the death certificate and a copy of the representative of estate documents must be provided
- There is no charge for processing copies of health information directly to other health care providers.
- Patients will be charged a fee for copies of their health information.
- To reduce the cost, patients should consider requesting specific information rather than a complete record.
- The fee for patients to access copies of their health information is the cost of postage plus the following charges:
Number of Copies
|Cost for Medical Records
| Page number 1-25
||$1.00 per page
| Additional charges apply for requests greater than 25 pages
| Page number 26-50
|| $0.67 per page
| Page number 51 and over
||$0.33 per page
| Record on CD
||50% of paper pricing
| X-rays on CD (multiple exams)
|| $10.00 per CD
*Pricing reflects the State of Illinois 2016 copying fees (735 ILCS)
Copies are processed within 15 to 30 days from the date the request is received by UChicago Medicine. Recipients will be notified if the request cannot be processed within that time frame.
If you have any questions, please contact us. A complete list of organization addresses and phone numbers is included in the instructions for completing the request and authorization form.
Medical records at UChicago Medicine Ingalls Memorial are kept for ten years. To request a copy of your medical record, you may stop by the Medical Records office at Ingalls, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to fill out a request or complete the Ingalls Authorization for Release of Information and mail it to:
UChicago Medicine Ingalls Memorial
Attn: Medical Records
One Ingalls Drive
Harvey, IL 60426
If you mail your request, you will be sent a bill. Once your payment is received, you will receive your medical record. All requests are processed within seven to 14 business days of payment. Make checks or money orders payable to Midwest Medical Records Associates (MMRA). Visa and MasterCard also are accepted. We do not accept cash.
There is no charge for records sent directly to a physician. Requests for any other purpose are charged according to the schedule below.
Effective January 2018, the Illinois Code of Civil Procedure was changed to set fees for the copying of medical records. View fees for medical records.
If you have any questions, please call 708-915-6201 or email email@example.com.