Multispecialty Stroke & Neurovascular Care
At the University of Chicago Medicine, we provide the most contemporary, innovative care for the full range of common and complex blood flow problems affecting the brain and spinal cord. Our collaborative, approach draws on the talents and internationally recognized expertise of leading clinicians in neurology, neurosurgery and neurointerventional surgery. Our team includes pioneering experts in these specialties, offering a depth and breadth of experience that enables us to help people with the most challenging neurovascular problems. Our team provides thorough and compassionate care at every level of illness and for patients at every age.
What We Treat
Our team provides emergency care and treatment for patients with the following emergent and less urgent neurovascular conditions:
- Acute stroke
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVM)
- Brain (cerebral) aneurysms
- Brain and spinal cord dural arteriovenous malformation/fistula
- Cerebral cavernous malformations (CCM)
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis
- Childhood stroke and pediatric neurovascular lesions
- Corotid surgery and cerebral revascularization
- Dissections of brain arteries
- Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT)
- Narrowing of brain arteries
- Pediatric vascular malformations
- Skull base tumors
- Stroke in young adults
- Strokes that are unexplained or cryptogenic
Interdisciplinary Team, Comprehensive Expertise
Sometimes, there is more than one way to help patients with neurovascular problems. Our patients benefit from having experts in multiple specialties collaborating to customize care, based on each individual's medical problems, history, and life perspective.
Our physician team is led by specialists in:
- Stroke Neurology, offering the most state-of-the-art neurovascular guidance and care by stroke specialists in an award-winning Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Neurocritical Care, offering advanced monitoring and treatment in our state-of-the-art Neurosciences Critical Care Unit (NeuroICU), which is run by a multidisciplinary team of neurocritical care experts
- Neurovascular Surgery, providing expert diagnosis, management and surgical interventions
Neurointerventional Surgery, performing state-of-the-art imaging and endovascular procedures for diagnosis and treatment
The American Heart Association and the American Stroke Association recognize UChicago Medicine for consistently exceeding national standards to improve quality of patient care and outcomes.
Regardless of which specialist a patient initially sees, our physicians review complex cases in a team meeting where we integrate the collective perspectives and recommendations of our dedicated experts. Our physicians meet directly with each patient to explain all treatment options, and to develop an understanding of personal concerns and priorities.
We recognize that some patients are best managed conservatively — without open surgery or neurointerventional procedures. In these cases, our team is confident providing monitoring and medical management.
From the simplest to the most complicated cases, we take the extra steps needed to determine the most appropriate treatment options for each individual. Whether the patient requires urgent treatment or is thinking about prevention, we use the same, thorough process for diagnosis, treatment and management of neurovascular disorders.
At UChicago Medicine, we offer advanced neurovascular care that is not available in some parts of the world. The stroke and neurovascular care team works closely with the Center for International Patients to meet the unique needs of patients traveling from abroad.
If you are a healthcare provider and wish to transfer a patient with a neurologic emergency or to speak with our team directly, call our dedicated neuroICU transfer line at 1-773-834-NSICU (6742). It will be answered by an attending neuro-intensivist, addressing ischemic stroke, brain bleeding, status epilepticus, neurotrauma, hydrocephalus, tumors and other neurologic emergencies.
If requested, we will facilitate seamless transfer and make arrangements for bed assignment.
To schedule a consultation for a less urgent neurovascular condition, call us at:
- Stroke Neurology: 773-834-4604
- Neurovascular Surgery: 773-702-2123
- Neurointerventional Surgery: 773-702-5004
We never stop looking for innovative ways to treat neurovascular conditions. Our physicians are members of national research groups, collaborating with experts from across the country to offer leading-edge treatments and promising clinical trials.
Learn more about ongoing stroke and neurovascular care research initiatives at UChicago Medicine.