Convenient Locations for Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
The University of Chicago Medicine offers outpatient rehabilitative services in Calumet City, Flossmoor and Tinley Park.
Nationally Accredited Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility
Our Center for Rehabilitative Medicine was the first in Illinois to receive a three-year stroke specialty accreditation by the prestigious Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). Overall, the center scored in the top 3 percent of all CARF surveys nationwide.
Recognized by physicians for its superior care, the 53-bed inpatient unit serves as a regional referral center, accepting patients from hospitals throughout Chicago's south and southwest suburbs. Acute rehabilitation is offered in five primary areas: amputee, general, neurological, orthopedic and stroke. The center offers 24-hour nursing care by specially trained rehabilitation nurses and the services of full-time physiatrists (physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation).
The unit also offers on-site physical, occupational and recreational therapy, speech therapy and neuropsychology at the rehabilitation physician's order. We also offer ongoing education for patients and families and stroke support groups.
A Team Approach to Patient Care
During their hospital stays, our stroke patients receive superior care from a dedicated, interdisciplinary team that includes:
- Physicians: the patient's primary-care physician, as well as a variety of specialists, including neurologists, neurosurgeons, radiologists, anesthesiologists and physiatrists
- Registered nurses: who assess and coordinate patient needs, administer treatment, and provide patient and family instruction
- Nursing assistants: who provide personal care and hygiene
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists: who provide individualized rehabilitation treatment
- Social workers: who offer support to patients and their families and coordinate appropriate community resources
- Chaplains: who offer spiritual support to patients and their families
- Case managers: who oversee hospitalization; coordinate with insurance payors; and work to ensure follow-up arrangements such as home care are made.
- Dietitians: who assist with proper design of nutritional and caloric intake
Telemedicine at UChicago Medicine
Save time by skipping the trip to the doctor's office and video conference with your provider instead. Video visits are a secure, quick, and convenient way to connect with your doctor and other members of your care team.
Whether you are facing a complex health issue or difficult treatment decision, getting a second opinion can help you make an informed decision about your care. Get an online second opinion from one of our experts without having to leave home.
Request an Appointment
You can also make an appointment with our providers by:
– Scheduling a virtual video visit to see a provider from the comfort of your home
– Requesting an online second opinion from our specialists
– Filling out an online questionnaire (e-visit) to get a same-day diagnosis and treatment for common conditions.
To speak to someone directly, please call 1-888-824-0200. If you have symptoms of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
* Required Field