Our goal is to provide a safe and healing environment. Friends, family and caregivers of patients are welcome as partners in the healing process.
We do not restrict, limit or deny visiting based on age, race, religion, ethnicity, culture, language, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical disability or mental disability. Patients may have visitors they choose 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
Patient or healthcare proxy may refuse visitors or ask them to leave at any time.
- Visitors must check in with UChicago Medicine Public Safety Staff at an entrance and show a state-issued ID or driver’s license.
- Each visitor will get a badge that allows that person access for 24 hours. Visitors must show their badge and may need to ring a bell to enter the patient care area.
- Visitors may be restricted for the safety and health of a patient or visitor.
- For important details and updates about visitation guidelines by area and type of care, read:
- Comer Children's Hospital visitation guidelines
- Family Birth Center visitation guidelines
- Ingalls Memorial patient and visitor information
To support the care, safety and privacy of all patients:
- Stay in the patient room or unit waiting area. This is to keep hallways clear for patient privacy and safety. If the patient needs help, use the room call light.
- Speak softly and do not make loud noises. We want to create a healing place for patients.
- Care team members may ask visitors to leave the room to provide the best care to the patient.