Rolf Barth, MD, is an expert surgeon specializing in liver, kidney and pancreas transplantation, with a focus on living donor kidney and living donor liver transplants. Dr. Barth is committed to finding innovative treatment options for liver, kidney and pancreatic disease with the goal of improving outcomes and overall quality of life for his patients. His skill, experience and unwavering dedication to enhancing care for organ transplantation allowed Dr. Barth to pioneer minimally invasive surgery for living kidney donation. He also performed the first scarless single-port laparoscopic donor nephrectomies (kidney removal), and has gone on to successfully complete this procedure over 500 times.
Dr. Barth is an avid researcher, with interests that span both clinical and basic research. His research laboratory has evaluated novel immunosuppressive therapies, immunologic tolerance and the use of genetically engineered animal organs for human transplantation (xenotransplantation). Dr. Barth also investigated transplant tolerance and pre-clinical models of composite facial and limb transplantation, toward the clinical goal of reconstructive transplantation.
His research has been published in highly respected, peer-reviewed journals, including Annals of Surgery, American Journal of Transplantation, Lancet, and many others.
Memberships & Medical Societies
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- American Society of Transplantation
- Transplantation Society
- International Liver Transplantation Society
- Society of Clinical Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center
- Duke University Medical Center
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics; Massachusetts General Hospital
News & ResearchView Published Papers
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
Our list of accepted insurance providers is subject to change at any time. You should contact your insurance company to confirm UChicago Medicine participates in their network before scheduling your appointment. If your insurance company is not listed here, or if you have any other questions, please contact Managed.Care@uchospitals.edu.
To Request an Appointment
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient
Laparoscopic Donor Nephrectomy at UChicago Medicine
Dr. Rolf Barth explains a minimally invasive kidney donor transplant surgery that leaves a small scar in the belly button.
What to know about living organ donation
Why are living kidney and liver donations important? Are there risks to living donation surgery? Dr. Barth answers questions about living donation and how advanced technology has made the surgery safer for the organ donors.