Ritu Verma, MD, is a highly respected pediatric gastroenterologist who provides compassionate, comprehensive care to children suffering from complex gastroenterology conditions. Dr. Verma is a leading expert in celiac disease and works closely with her patients and their families to manage this condition. She is also committed to ensuring pediatric gastroenterology patients have a seamless continuum of care throughout their journey, which includes a coordinated transition from pediatric to adult gastroenterology programs.
In addition to her clinical practice, Dr. Verma is also passionate about creating a holistic approach to research that merges adult and pediatric robust basic science research in celiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and food allergies with clinical research so that all of gastroenterology is marching towards to the same goal, providing our patients with the latest therapies and access to innovative treatments.
Dr. Verma takes her responsibilities as educator seriously, and she has served as a course instructor, delivers lectures and participates in rounds to teach medical students, residents and fellows about current pediatric gastroenterology care. Dr. Verma has also been published in several peer-reviewed journals, such as the American Journal of Gastroenterology, Journal of Pediatrics, Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Gastroenterology, Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Pediatric Diabetes and Nature Genetics.
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- University of Zambia School of Medicine
- Bellevue Hospital Center; University Teaching Hospital
- Bellevue Hospital Center
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
News & ResearchView Published Papers
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
Our list of accepted insurance providers is subject to change at any time. You should contact your insurance company to confirm UChicago Medicine participates in their network before scheduling your appointment. If your insurance company is not listed here, or if you have any other questions, please contact Managed.Care@uchospitals.edu.
To Request an AppointmentBook Online Powered by Zocdoc
Comer Children's Hospital - Hyde Park
UChicago Medicine South Loop
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient
Understanding Celiac Disease
What does it take to find out if a child has celiac disease? We spoke with Dr. Ritu Verma, medical director of UChicago Medicine’s Celiac Disease Center, and Dietitian Macy Mears to answer this question and more.