Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology Director, Transabdominal Cerclage Program
UChicago Faculty Physicians hold faculty positions with the University of Chicago and provide care for patients on the academic health system’s main campus in Hyde Park and in care centers throughout the Chicago region.Close
Laura Douglass, MD, completed a fellowship in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery, gaining expertise in robotic, advanced laparoscopic and hysteroscopic procedures. She is passionate about providing safe, effective surgical approaches that are least invasive and tailored to each woman’s needs.
Dr. Douglass provides comprehensive gynecologic care for women. After working closely with renowned expert Arthur Haney, MD, performing transabdominal cerclage (TAC) surgeries (to prevent pregnancy loss caused by incompetent cervix) Dr. Douglass now serves as director of the TAC Program. Additionally, her clinical interests include the management of abnormal uterine bleeding, tubal or ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids. Dr. Douglass further specialized her practice by receiving international training and mentorship in São Paulo, Brazil with an emphasis on providing fertility sparing surgical treatment for women with endometriosis. In 2015, she assisted in the implementation of laparoscopy in the obstetrics and gynecology department at a medical center in American Samoa.
- Wayne State University School of Medicine
- University of Chicago Medicine
- University of Chicago Medicine
- Indiana University Health
Memberships & Medical Societies
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- World Endometriosis Society
- Society of Endometriosis and Uterine Disorders
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
Dr. Douglass answers questions to help patients understand what to expect after TAC surgery.
More news and articles featuring Dr. Douglass:
- Chicago is special for Bears receiver Marquise Goodwin. It’s where a doctor helped his wife after years of loss — and where he’ll try to jumpstart his NFL career.
- ‘Let’s get you a family'. U. of C. cervix specialist retires after helping thousands have babies after multiple losses.
- 7 silent signs you could have endometriosis
To Request an AppointmentBook Online Powered by Zocdoc
UChicago Medicine Orland Park
UChicago Medicine - Hinsdale
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient
At The Forefront Live: Fibroids and Endometriosis Explained
Minimally invasive gynecologic surgeons Shari Snow, MD, Laura Douglass, MD, and Sandra Laveaux, MD, MPH, discuss fibroids and endometriosis. Both conditions can cause severe pelvic pain and heavy bleeding, but are decidedly different.