At the University of Chicago Medicine, our gynecologic and obstetric experts offer advanced ultrasound services for women and girls of all ages. Our team is comprised of highly trained sonographers and physicians who specialize in gynecologic imaging and maternal-fetal medicine (high-risk pregnancy care).
Evaluation & Diagnosis
Using advanced ultrasound techniques, UChicago Medicine experts provide imaging that helps to clarify diagnoses and inform care plans. Our team performs transabdominal and transvaginal ultrasounds to evaluate a range of gynecologic and obstetric health concerns. These include:
- Abnormally heavy or postmenopausal uterine bleeding
- Irregular or absent periods (amenorrhea)
- Pelvic pain (acute, intermittent or chronic)
The most common uses for ultrasound imaging during prenatal care are:
- Pregnancy dating
- Multiple pregnancy diagnosis (twins, triplets, etc.)
- Fetal anatomy survey, a head to toe targeted scan (usually performed between 18 to 20 weeks)
Biophysical Profile (BPP) testing, a fetal health assessment which includes nonstress testing (NST) to measure your baby's heart rate (usually during the last trimester)
Our experts also perform ultrasounds for diagnostic purposes, including:
- Amniocentesis, to test for chromosomal disorders and neural tube defects
- Doppler, to evaluate blood circulation
- Nuchal translucency (NT scan), to determine if fluid is accumulating at the back of the fetus' neck, which may be a marker for Down syndrome or fetal heart defects
Additionally, UChicago Medicine experts offer optional 3D and 4D ultrasound imaging.
3D Ultrasound Imaging
Three-dimensional (3D) ultrasound offers advanced precision, enabling views of pelvic organs and fetal anatomy from angles that typically are not accessible with traditional two-dimensional (2D) imaging. For example, 3D ultrasound offers more specific assessment and mapping of lesions and abnormalities within the uterus and other pelvic organs.
Why Choose Us for Patient Referrals?
UChicago Medicine offers advanced gynecologic and obstetric ultrasound services with:
- Urgent same-day appointments
- Immediate communication of urgent results
- Timely communication of all results
- Follow-up visits within one week
- Follow-up services and consultation with our experts as needed
- Multiple convenient locations
Convenient Locations for Advanced Ultrasound Imaging
Chicago, IL 60637 1-888-824-0200
New Lenox, IL 60451 1-888-824-0200
Meet Our Ultrasound Experts
Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery