The University of Chicago Medicine offers comprehensive care for high-risk pregnancies, engaging experts in obstetric anesthesia, neurology, neurosurgery, pediatric cardiology, pediatric cardiac surgery, general pediatric surgery, pediatric otolaryngology, neonatology, endocrinology, genetics and other specialties as needed. Through collaborative discussion, our dedicated experts reach consensus on best practices and risk management strategies in even the most challenging obstetrical cases.
Our experienced team provides a wide range of expertise in the treatment and management of maternal and fetal conditions. University of Chicago Medicine specialists are available for consultations to offer clinical insights and guidance for women who are pregnant or planning to conceive. Our team will engage in communication with your primary obstetric provider to support the best possible patient care experience and outcome for you and your baby.
The University of Chicago Medicine Clinical Genetics Program provides compassionate counseling for families who have concerns about genetic conditions, birth defects or cognitive deficits. Our licensed genetic counselor will meet individually with you and your family to:
- Provide genetic risk assessments
- Summarize complex genetic information
- Help you decide about additional testing
- Coordinate care with other providers as needed
Obstetric Ultrasound & Ultrasound-Guided Procedures
At the Family Birth Center, our state-of-the-art facilities are equipped with sophisticated imaging technology to support definitive diagnosis for congenital disorders. Our team of highly skilled specialists brings together more than 150 years of collective experience.
We perform several types of fetal ultrasound, including:
Our specialists use ultrasound technology to perform diagnostic procedures as indicated:
- Nuchal translucency (NT scan), to determine if fluid is accumulating at the back of the fetus' neck, which may be a marker for Down syndrome or fetal heart defects
- Amniocentesis, to test for chromosomal disorders and neural tube defects
We also offer biophysical profile (BPP) testing, which includes nonstress testing (NST) and ultrasound imaging to assess fetal health, usually during the last trimester.
We offer comprehensive care and treatment services for a broad range of high-risk pregnancy conditions.
Our areas of specialization include, but are not limited to:
- Pregnancy and hypertension
- Pregnancy and diabetes
- Abnormal placentation
- Incompetent cervix (cervical insufficiency)
- Multiples (twins, triplets or more)
- Fetal anomalies
- Cervical cancer
Our experts also perform complex surgical techniques for the treatment of certain high-risk pregnancy conditions, including cervical cerclage for incompetent cervix and radical vaginal trachelectomy (cervicectomy) for cervical cancer.
Coordinated Care for Complex Fetal Conditions
Our Fetal and Neonatal Care Center provides personalized prenatal consultations and the highest level of specialized care for babies facing critical health challenges.Fetal & Neonatal Care Center
Request an Appointment
You can also make an appointment with our providers by:
– Scheduling a virtual video visit to see a provider from the comfort of your home
– Requesting an online second opinion from our specialists
– Filling out an online questionnaire (e-visit) to get a same-day diagnosis and treatment for common conditions.
To speak to someone directly, please call 1-888-824-0200. If you have symptoms of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
* Required Field