At the University of Chicago Medicine, our gynecologists provide specialized and confidential family planning services for women, including contraception consultations, pregnancy terminations and miscarriage care. We offer a personalized and comprehensive approach to care, including reproductive health counseling services.
The Society for Family Planning, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and the American Medical Association have stated that abortion and contraception should remain essential care and delivered in a timely fashion. Illinois and UChicago Medicine provide a supportive and favorable environment for us to be able to provide this care without barriers. In addition to access to abortion care, we are providing telemedicine for contraception care and using novel approaches for self-administration of subcutaneous Depo-Provera and remote follow-up care for medical abortion.
Providing Safe Care During COVID-19Throughout this period, we have maintained one day of abortion services and launched telephone and video virtual visits for contraceptive counseling. During this time, we have taken a number of steps to provide safe care to our patients, including:
- Wearing masks and asking that all patients wear masks during clinic visits
- Asking patients to come alone or with just one support person to reduce possible exposure
- Minimizing the number of staff members in exam rooms for exams and procedures
- Cleaning rooms and exam tables after each patient visit
As we move forward, we will be expanding our ability to provide virtual and in-person care while maintaining our careful safety precautions. In particular, we are expanding our ability to provide all methods of contraception, including intrauterine devices (IUD) and contraceptive implants in-person starting May 1.
Contraception and Family Planning Services
UChicago Medicine offers a range of contraceptive options to help women prevent pregnancy, including:
- Oral contraceptives (birth control pills)
- Wearable birth control (the patch)
- Contraceptive vaginal ring (NuvaRing)
- Injectable contraceptive (Depo-Provera shot)
- Implantable contraceptives, including intrauterine devices (IUD) and Nexplanon
- Emergency contraception
- Sterilization, including tubal ligation and tubal removal
UChicago Medicine offers comprehensive services for pregnancy termination and miscarriage care, including:
- Medical pregnancy termination
- Office- and hospital-based surgical pregnancy termination in the first and second trimesters of pregnancy
- Pregnancy termination services for women with pregnancies complicated by medical conditions and fetal abnormalities
- Medical and surgical management of miscarriage
- Pre- and post-procedure counseling and follow up
UChicago Medicine experts offer personalized contraception consultations for women with medical conditions that may complicate birth control options, including:
- Autoimmune syndromes
- Blood clotting disorders, such as Factor V Leiden
- Heart disease
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Organ transplantation
Your gynecologist will review your medical history and discuss your contraceptive options. Our patients also have access to reproductive health counseling services offered by our licensed clinical psychologist.
Reproductive Health Counseling
Many of our patients deal with circumstances or conditions that may impact reproductive health and well-being. For this reason, our team includes a licensed clinical psychologist who helps meet our patients' needs more comprehensively, offering behavorial counseling and support.
At UChicago Medicine, we offer behavioral health services during appointments for abortion, contraception or gynecologic visits. Many patients are able to see a behavioral health consultant during their original appointment.
Our specialists work with patients to reduce symptoms of chronic medical conditions and help patients cope with health challenges, such as:
- Excessive cramping
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome (MRKH)
- Termination of pregnancy
Our behavioral health consultants help patients to develop plans for changing behaviors, such as:
- Curbing risky sexual activity
- Managing weight
- Managing alcohol or substance use
- Increasing exercise
- Other lifestyle changes
We also support patients in developing coping skills and strategies to manage emotional or behavioral concerns, such as:
- Family or relationship difficulties
- Parenting concerns
- Sleep problems
- Grief and loss
- Depression, anxiety or anger problems
Telemedicine at UChicago Medicine
For your convenience and safety, we offer secure and easy virtual visits for many of your gynecologic and obstetric needs. Our care providers can assess your symptoms, make a diagnosis, recommend treatment and send prescriptions to your pharmacy.
Complete an online questionnaire (e-visit) through your MyChart account to get a same-day diagnosis and a treatment plan for vaginitis (vaginal discharge) or a suspected urinary tract infection (UTI).
Whether you are facing a complex health issue or difficult treatment decision, getting a second opinion can help you make an informed decision about your care. Get an online second opinion from one of our experts without having to leave home.
Meet Our Contraception & Family Planning Team
Contraception & Family Planning
Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology
Contraception & Family Planning