[MUSIC PLAYING] My name is Ajay Wagh. I'm an interventional pulmonologist here at the University of Chicago. I've been practicing for the last seven years as a pulmonary critical care physician, and I'm excited to be here. An interventional pulmonologist uses minimally invasive techniques to diagnose and manage lung disease. Ultimately, I just want to help people feel better and breathe better.
So, I really believe in great communication and teamwork. I follow the philosophy of following the three A's-- affable, available, and able. And I try to reliably perform that every day when I come to work. I love math and science, and I love to problem solve, so I started out in engineering.
And because I enjoyed working with people, I followed that up with going into medicine, and it just seemed like a perfect fit. I love taking care of people, and I love to see them breathe better and feel better. And it's very professionally satisfying. First, if you smoke, please quit. Only clean air in the lungs, please. And good nutrition and exercise is important, and we can help you get on the right track.
Ajay Wagh, MD, MS, specializes in pulmonary medicine with a focus in interventional pulmonology. Dr. Wagh is focused on using minimally invasive techniques for diagnosing and treating a wide range of lung and chest conditions, including stage lung cancer, chronic respiratory illness, complex airway disorders, pleural disease (pleurisy, pneumothorax, pleural tumors) and more.
Along with his clinical practice, Dr. Wagh is an active researcher. He investigates diagnostic techniques used to improve outcomes and quality of life for pulmonary patients. His work as been published in several peer-reviewed journals, including the Journal of Thoracic Disease, Respiratory Medicine and American Journal of Physiology, Lung, Cell, Molecular Physiology.
- Internal Medicine
Memberships & Medical Societies
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Thoracic Society
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine
- Jefferson University Hospitals
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals
- UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital; Northwestern Medicine
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
Our list of accepted insurance providers is subject to change at any time. You should contact your insurance company to confirm UChicago Medicine participates in their network before scheduling your appointment. If your insurance company is not listed here, or if you have any other questions, please contact Managed.Care@uchospitals.edu.
To Request an Appointment
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient
Pulmonologists D. Kyle Hogarth, MD, and Ajay Wagh, MD, talk about different ways physicians can detect and diagnose lung nodules and masses, including advanced bronchoscopy techniques that do not require incisions or surgery.Watch Video Watch Video With Transcript Learn more