At the University of Chicago Medicine, we specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of a variety of infections that require expertise in a number of venues. We provide consultation services, including a general infectious diseases service, an immunocompromised host service and an advanced practice service.
We have expanded our section thoughtfully with the goal of having expertise in every area of infectious diseases, including general infectious diseases, hospital-acquired infections, opportunistic infections in immunocompromised hosts (patients undergoing cancer chemotherapy, solid organ transplantation, stem cell transplant transplantation and primary immune deficiency syndromes), HIV infection and sexually transmitted infections.
We are experts in antimicrobial therapy and vaccines and have an active clinical trials program that allows us access to promising experimental treatments.
- Bone and joint infection, including prosthetic joint infections
- Central nervous system infections
- Complicated respiratory tract infections
- Endocarditis and other vascular infections
- Fever of unknown origin
- Hepatitis B and C
- HIV infection
- Infections in high-risk pregnancy
- Infections in immunocompromised hosts (i.e. solid organ and stem cell transplant recipients)
- Infections with MRSA, VRE, ESBL, CREs and other multi-drug resistant organisms (MDROs)
- Intra-abdominal infections
- Invasive fungal infections
- Other device infections
- Other viral infections
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for individuals at risk for HIV infection
- Recurrent infections
- Recurrent or complicated urinary tract infections
- Recurrent or refractory Clostridium difficile infection
- Recurrent or refractory skin and soft tissue infections
- Tuberculosis and non-tuberculous mycobacterial infections
In addition to inpatient consultations, we have a very active outpatient practice for patients with infections requiring longer courses of therapy and patients requiring discharge follow-up. We have a comprehensive HIV care program that includes sexual health, women’s care and HIV prevention services. Our activities are integrated with the Pediatric HIV Care Program and Obstetrics and Gynecology for pregnant women with HIV.
We also offer consultation services for patients with other acute and chronic infections, suspected infections and/or recurrent infections who may have immune deficiency syndromes. We also have expertise in tropical infectious diseases and travel medicine precautions. Some of our physicians are embedded in other clinics and give special expertise related to infection prevention and/or treatment in patients who will be undergoing stem cell transplantation, i.e., the Transplant Optimization (TOP) Clinic in collaboration with our Section of Hematology/Oncology.
Many of our section’s clinical and research activities are public health activities, and much of the work is done outside of the walls of UChicago Medicine. The section is home to the Chicago Center for HIV Elimination, and we have dedicated faculty and staff members who are committed to the cause of eliminating HIV/AIDS. As part of this charge, our group of experienced physicians coordinates care for patients with complex health issues.
We are able to care for underinsured patients through federal funding from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, funding for our HIV screening program, and HIV providers working at Federally Qualified Health Centers through our Urban Health Initiative. Our programs offer HIV screening, linkage to care services, comprehensive HIV care and HIV prevention programs on the South Side of Chicago. In addition, we have other public health researchers attacking the problems of narcotic addiction, HIV infection and hepatitis C infection on a state level.
Patients with HIV infection can call and self-refer for care by phone at 1-888-824-0200 or online.
Other patients should be referred by a primary care physician. We require medical records pertaining to the infection or suspected infection prior to the visit to determine if infectious diseases subspecialty care is indicated.
Request an Appointment
You can also make an appointment with our providers by:
– Scheduling a virtual video visit to see a provider from the comfort of your home
– Requesting an online second opinion from our specialists
– Filling out an online questionnaire (e-visit) to get a same-day diagnosis and treatment for common conditions.
To speak to someone directly, please call 1-888-824-0200. If you have symptoms of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
* Required Field