The University of Chicago Medicine is constantly improving to continue to be a world leader in patient care, and our nationally recognized heart and vascular physicians make unparalleled patient care their priority goal. Some recently advancement in technology and care include:
- We offer one of the most comprehensive and innovative robotic approaches available anywhere in the world, including the multi-vessel totally endoscopic coronary artery bypass surgery (TECAB). Our team has performed more than 1,300 robotic cardiac surgeries, including more than 700 TECABs. The team performs more than 200 robotic heart surgeries a year.
- Our state-of-the-art Arrhythmia Technology Suite offers minimally invasive, precise imaging and magnetic navigation for the treatment of irregular heartbeats, allowing us to perform procedures not offered elsewhere, including epi/endo robotic-assisted ablation.
- We have one of the highest transplant rates in the country, which equates to patients spending less time on a waiting list. Additionally, patients who receive a heart transplant at UChicago Medicine have a 29 percent improved chance of survival.
- We recently developed and participated in the first-in-human trial for NuPulse intra-Vascular Assist System (iVAS) — a novel, minimally invasive heart assist device – reinforcing our legacy as a leader in cardiovascular research.
- Our expert, multidisciplinary transplant team has extensive experience performing complex heart, heart-lung and multi-organ transplants. UChicago Medicine was the first in the world to perform a successful heart-kidney-liver transplant.
- We are internationally recognized for treating valve and structural heart conditions. Our physicians have pioneered novel, minimally invasive transcatheter techniques for a variety of structural heart disorders, and our robotic surgery program performs more procedures than any other in the United States.
- Our renowned Center for Aortic Disease provides patients across the country with comprehensive and coordinated care for aortic conditions using the latest, state-of-the-art treatments.
- We are one of only two Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Centers of Excellence in Illinois.
We develop and use cutting edge technology to improve patient outcomes. So even for patients who have the most complex disease, we can give them the latest technology to take care of them. And if we can do that for the most difficult patients and have great outcomes on the most difficult patients, imagine what we can do for everyone else.