Your skin is the largest organ in your body. It can be affected by a wide range of diseases, environmental conditions and age-related changes. Whatever your skin problem, our highly respected dermatologists at the University of Chicago Medicine will be able to recommend the optimal treatment for your specific needs and goals.
In addition to practicing medicine, many of our dermatologists conduct research on skin diseases and work with scientists around the globe to translate new knowledge into better treatments for our patients. As a result, our team is on top of the most advanced approaches for treating and preventing skin diseases and helping you maintain a healthy appearance. We also work closely with other specialists at UChicago Medicine, including oncologists and rheumatologists, when a skin condition requires a collaborative treatment approach.
Our skin experts provide medical and surgical treatments for all types of conditions affecting the skin, hair and nails.
Full Spectrum of Treatments
Our skin care team will develop an individualized treatment plan that is appropriate, based on your medical history and symptoms. We offer a wide variety of medical and surgical therapies to treat the most common, as well as complex, skin issues. Some of these include:
- Oral and topical medications
- Excisional surgery to remove suspicious moles or other skin growths
- Mohs micrographic surgery for the treatment of non-melanoma types of skin cancers
- Nonsurgical treatments for some types of skin cancer
- Light and laser therapy to care for a range of medical and cosmetic concerns
- Anti-aging treatments to improve the appearance of aging skin
A Focus on Prevention
Preventing skin problems is a top priority for our treatment team. To that end, we offer a range of services for patients who want to keep their skin healthy. This includes:
- Mole mapping and full body skin exams to check for skin cancer or precancerous lesions. These are ideal for patients with many moles, oddly shaped moles called dysplastic nevi or a personal or family history of skin cancer
- Topical medications and light therapy to prevent and treat precancerous lesions called actinic keratoses
- Customized skin care for all skin types, including those with ethnic skin
- Patch tests to identify and prevent skin allergies
- Education and support for patients with chronic skin conditions, such as atopic dermatitis and eczema
Specialized Care for Complex Conditions
UChicago Medicine has a specialty clinic for patients with weakened immune systems. This includes transplant patients, patients on chemotherapy and those with HIV.
Skin issues are a common and sometimes debilitating problem in patients who have had an organ or bone marrow transplant. Organ transplant patients specifically have a significantly higher risk of skin cancer than the general population. Our team is currently using the most promising combinations of topical and systemic therapies, as well as patient education and support, to help prevent and treat skin cancers in these patients.
Our team has extensive experience in treating immunocompromised patients using a multidisciplinary approach. We understand the unique challenges of these patients and work with transplant surgeons, oncologists, infectious disease specialists and other experts to design effective treatment plans for patients with complicated skin issues.
Convenient Locations for Dermatology Care
Chicago, IL 60637 1-888-824-0200
Request an Appointment
The information you provide will enable us to assist you as efficiently as possible. A representative will contact you within one to two business days to help you schedule an appointment.
Please note this electronic request form is not for same- or next-day appointments. If you prefer to speak to someone directly, please call 1-888-824-0200. If you have symptoms of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
* Required Field