The University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center Cancer Registry provides a full range of oncology data services for our nationally recognized American College of Surgeons (ACoS)-approved clinical cancer program. Since the 1920s, the Registry has collected, maintained, and reported detailed information for patients diagnosed with, and treated for, cancer or benign central nervous system neoplasms. A dedicated team of data management specialists ensures that records are maintained for patients at both the University of Chicago Medicine and the University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross Hospital.

The Cancer Registry provides important data services to advance basic, translational, and clinical research at the Comprehensive Cancer Center. All data collected by the Registry can be accessed via an electronic data repository, known as the Clinical Research Data Warehouse (CRDW). Researchers and clinical staff who request access to this resource are provided data in a safe, managed method that is compliant with HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules. Registry data are essential for not only advancing research to improve patient care, but also for cancer program development, community outreach activities, and decision-making in oncology and public healthcare policies.

2017 UChicago Medicine Cancer Data

The Cancer Registry reports on patients who were newly diagnosed and/or received first course or subsequent treatment for a cancer diagnosis or recurrent/progressive disease at University of Chicago Medicine.

Cancer Incidence by Type

In 2017, 4,704 patients were diagnosed and/or treated at the University of Chicago Medicine for a malignancy or benign central nervous system neoplasm (See Table 1). Of these, the majority of patients (3,887, 83%) were newly diagnosed, and the remaining (817, 17%) had recurrent or progressive disease. The most frequently seen cancers were of the digestive system.

2017 cancer incidence by cancer type

Patient Demographics

Distribution by race shows that our patient population is predominately white (3,042 patients, 64.6%), followed by African American (1,116 patients, 23.7%), and Hispanic (248 patients, 5.3%). These trends are similar to those seen in recent years.

2017 cancer patient demographics by race and ethnicity

Patient Geographics

The majority of patients (3,713, 78.9%) seen in 2017 were Illinois residents. Nearly 19% (885 patients) of the total number of patients first seen in 2017 lived in other states, primarily in the neighboring states of Indiana (763, 86.2%), Michigan (73, 8.2%) and Wisconsin (49, 5.6%).

We also served nine international patients from countries including Argentina, China, Columbia, Kuwait, Pakistan, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

2017 cancer geographics