Patient registration for the COVID-19 vaccine is not available at this time. When we are able to vaccinate patients, vaccines will be offered to a limited number of eligible patients through a lottery. This follows public health guidelines for unused doses that are currently allocated for healthcare workers. Lottery enrollment is automatic. You do not need to take action to be added to the pool. You will get a message through MyChart and a telephone call when it is your turn to schedule a vaccine.
COVID-19 vaccines are safe, effective and the fastest way to bring an end to this global pandemic. We understand you may have questions, and we will do our best to provide you with information and updates as we learn more about the vaccine’s rollout to our patients and the South Side community. Here is what you need to know about the COVID-19 vaccination program for UChicago Medicine patients:
- If you are a healthcare worker or first responder who is looking for vaccination, please contact your local health department for additional resources
- We are using a lottery to vaccinate current patients who have been prioritized by public health agencies. Enrollment in the lottery is automatic, and registration is not available. You do not need to take any action to be added to the pool. If you are randomly selected for the vaccine, you will get a message through MyChart and telephone calls when it is your turn to get a vaccine. You will get instructions explaining how to schedule your appointment at that time.
- We will share updates once we are authorized by public health agencies to vaccinate larger groups of patients. However, if you need to see your doctor for any other reason, we are ready to serve you. Please call to schedule an in-person or video visit appointment as you normally would.
- Please continue to stay safe and healthy by practicing social distancing, wearing a face covering and washing your hands. If you don’t feel well, stay home and request a COVID-19 test through MyChart or by calling 773-702-2800.
COVID-19 Vaccination Registration and Scheduling FAQs for UChicago Medicine Patients
UChicago Medicine is planning to vaccinate patients as we get authorization to do so. To date, we have only been given COVID-19 vaccine supplies with a specific directive to vaccinate our personnel as well as unaffiliated frontline healthcare providers. As of January 18, 2021, we will be allowed to use limited doses of excess vaccine to vaccinate a small group of eligible patients based on rules from the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH). Patients who are eligible to receive these doses will be automatically entered into a lottery that follows public health guidelines. Patients do not need to take action to be added to the pool and will be notified if and when it is their turn to schedule a vaccine.
UChicago Medicine will contact patients as we learn more about distribution plans and determine when we can begin to broadly vaccinate patients. This may include phone calls, emails, and MyChart messages to patients. You also can check this webpage for updates. When patients are eligible for a vaccine through our automatic lottery, they will get a message through MyChart, email, and a telephone call when it is their turn. Lottery enrollment is automatic, and patients will not need to take action to be added to the pool.
Initially, we will invite current patients who are 75 and older and who live within the South Side’s 15 ZIP codes we serve to be vaccinated. After that, we will expand to those who are 65 and older and are from the same communities. Then we will expand further into the greater Chicagoland area. In all phases, we will use a lottery. We will continue to provide the vaccine in an efficient and orderly manner and are committed to using all doses provided to us. This initial distribution process, which may be revised, was developed in consultation with ethicists, health disparity experts, clinicians and many others. We look forward to expanding our patient program as public health agencies grant us permission for more widespread vaccination.
Vaccines will be given to patients in our vaccine clinic on our Hyde Park medical campus. Patients selected through our lottery will get detailed information about where to go for their appointment.
More COVID-19 Information From UChicago Medicine’s Experts:
- Frequently Asked Questions About the COVID-19 Vaccine
- How Do Vaccines Work?
- What Are The Different Types Of Vaccines?
- How Are Vaccines Made?
- How Does The FDA Approve Vaccines?
- How To Safely Interact With Family And Friends To Reduce Your COVID-19 Risk
- Is It COVID-19 Or The Flu? Only A Test Can Tell For Sure
- Keeping Up With Immunizations During The COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID-19 Testing Resources