The University of Chicago Medicine supports the professional education and advancement of our nursing staff. We believe that in order to be successful, our employees must continue to learn and grow. We provide various opportunities, including tuition reimbursement and scholarships, for employed nurses to enhance their knowledge and to learn new skills. Continuing education programs lead to quality care and services for our patients and their families.
Once UChicago Medicine nurses have completed their probationary period, they are eligible for the following tuition reimbursements:
- Full-time RNs are eligible for tuition reimbursement. Those who choose to pursue a master's degree in nursing receive 100 percent tuition reimbursement if they maintain a grade of C or higher (any current RN employees with a diploma or associate degree will receive 100 percent tuition reimbursement for bachelor's degree completion if they maintain a course grade of C- or higher; the employee must also be working in a nursing required role).
- Full-time RNs pursuing a doctorate in nursing receive 75 percent tuition reimbursement with a grade of C or higher.
- Part-time RNs receive 50 percent tuition reimbursement for bachelor's, master's and doctorate programs if they have a course grade of C or higher.
- Full-time LPNs who wish to pursue a bachelor's or doctorate degree in nursing will receive 100 percent reimbursement of tuition, books and lab fees for courses with a grade of C or higher. Books are also eligible for reimbursement.
- Part-time LPNs pursuing an RN degree will receive 50 percent reimbursement of tuition, books and lab fees for courses with a grade of C or higher.
UChicago Medicine values ongoing professional development through participation in various continuing education offerings. Continuing Education reimbursement is managed by the Center for Nursing Professional Practice and Research.
Upon successful completion of the probationary (new hire) period and up to their 5th year anniversary, RNs are eligible annually (calendar year basis) for up to $250 reimbursement for registration fees related to nursing continuing education contact hours. After their 5th year anniversary, RNs are eligible annually (calendar year basis) for up to $350 reimbursement for registration fees related to nursing continuing education contact hours. Continuing education funds may also be used for reimbursement towards the cost of national nursing certification exams (must show evidence of passing the exam) and towards the cost of renewal fees for national nursing certification.
- Continuing Education Day is paid time, and approved by the unit manager.
- RNs completing between six months to up to one year of continuous service at UChicago Medicine are eligible for one paid Continuing Education Day. RNs having completed one year to five years of service are eligible for two paid Continuing Education Days annually.
- RNs having completed more than five years of continuous service are eligible for three paid Continuing Education Days annually.
- RNs are eligible for a $500 certification bonus for achieving a national nursing certification.
- RNs may receive this bonus for up to two first-time national nursing certification achievements.
- RNs must be employees at the time of passing the nursing certification board examination.
- See the American Nurses Credentialing Center website for the list of eligible national nursing certifications.