UChicago Medicine makes BlackDoctor.org's Top Hospitals for Diversity list
The University of Chicago Medicine has earned a spot on BlackDoctor.org’s (BDO) 2018 Top Hospital for Diversity list. BDO is a leading health and wellness online destination for African-Americans.
The Medical Center was one of 55 hospitals nationwide included in this year’s list and one of three Illinois-based medical institutions.
“We are honored to receive this recognition, demonstrating our continued commitment to provide culturally competent care to our patients and a safe, inclusive environment for our staff,” said UChicago Medicine’s James Williams, director of diversity, inclusion and equity.
Featured hospitals represent all regions of the United States. Each hospital on this distinguished list delivers quality care at the highest level, while promoting equity and inclusion in their operations, programs, services and staffing.
Highlighting the significance of the top hospitals list, BDO CEO Reginald Ware said, "Our 30-million-plus audience places a great importance upon cultural competency and sensitivity when it comes to the entire healthcare delivery system. Our users have expressed a strong desire for us to point them in the right direction to providers and companies who excel in these areas. Organizations who are working hard to see that everyone is treated fairly, regardless of race or creed, are highlighted here. This important list is our means of recognizing the best institutions, while also paying homage to those values.”
Among the determining critical areas of assessment that led to this distinction by BDO experts, executives, and editors are:
- Recognition of the institution among and by other leading hospitals
- Commitment to the American Hospital Association's Equity of Care Pledge
- Recognized delivery of quality healthcare services
- Inclusive and diverse clinical and administrative staff
- Persons of color and women represented at the highest levels, including the board of directors and senior-level executives
- Culturally competent medical and professional staff
- Significant investment and profile in community health programs and initiatives
BlackDoctor.org now features the 2018 list on its website and its social media platforms, which reach 30 million people. In addition, a commemorative 2018 Top Hospitals for Diversity ebook has been produced and will be distributed to 750,000 people nationwide and posted in downloadable format on BlackDoctor.org.