Fellows are each paired with members of the senior leadership team for approximately one to three weeks at a time to receive mentoring and guidance within their respective departments. In these rotations, fellows are also partnered with directors who will meet with them on a one-on-one basis to review project work, communicate feedback on their experience and help navigate within the organization. In addition to the rotations, the fellows have flex weeks built into their schedule to get extra experience in the rotations that interest them most. Furthermore, the fellows will participate in performance improvement, financial management and standing senior leadership and organizational meetings.
Below you will find the first-year rotations and examples of rotation specific projects:
- Mapped ultrasound clinic throughput
- Built vascular staffing allocation model
- Took part in clinical appointment template review
- Managed patient flow study to reallocate operating room registration and staffing models
- Evaluated financial feasibility of weekend procedural clinic
- Generated spaghetti diagram for central sterile processing workflow
- Participated in Joint Commission accreditation process
- Helped with Comprehensive Stroke Center certification
- Participated in Hospital Incident Command System events
Participated in detail design events for new off-site ambulatory center
Helped implement Margin Improvement Tracker and benefits realization scorecard
- Helped plan employee service award banquet
- Performed due diligence for CBA negotiations
- Created a charter for system-wide badge access through an external vendor
- Performed IS/IT security policy market assessment and drafted several key hospital information security policies
- Participated on vendor selection RFP committees
- Participated in brand strategy and marketing campaign development
- Identified areas of improvement for physician referral management tool
- Helped develop a hospital operations scorecard for COO
- Mapped patient experience value stream
- Engaged in patient experience iPad rounding
- Participated in kaizen events for patient transfers to post-acute centers and trystorming facility planning
- Observed the implementation of visual management tools such as project boards and managing for daily improvement huddles
- Developed nurse practitioner coverage models in the adult emergency department (ED)
- Worked on pilot program to improve patient throughput in adult ED triage
- Engaged in Magnet designation strategic planning
- Performed current state staffing analysis for population health initiative
- Collaborated on community needs assessment
- Analyzed key service line strategic assessment
- Developed an occupancy model to identify downstream revenue associated with strategic growth initiatives
- Participated in annual operating plan strategy sessions and retreat
- Participated in patient kitchen process improvement
- Engaged in optimization of public safety command center
- Worked on development of menu for new dining options
- Participated in Heart and Vascular Patient and Family Partnership Council
- Helped with development of five-year strategic plan
- Implemented new Epic workflows to track L&D triage, patient events and LOS
The fellows will develop a detailed understanding of area-specific operations and become active members of a local management team. As a result, fellows will gain direct exposure to employee relations issues and have substantial opportunity for project specific work that ties to strategic goals within the selected department.
Why Choose UChicago Medicine
We are advancing the forefront of health every day by bringing research to reality and advanced care closer to our patients. Welcome to the forefront.
Awards & Accreditations
UChicago Medicine is continually recognized as a leader in medicine — both in patient care and research.
Learn why we are at the forefront of medicine.
UChicago Medicine is committed to improving health and wellness in the communities where our neighbors live, work, learn and play. Through valued partnerships, UChicago Medicine leverages the strengths and talents of existing community relationships to address chronic conditions and other complex health needs on Chicago's historic South Side and in our Southland region.
Expertise & Experience
UChicago Medicine is one of the nation's leading academic medical institutions. We have been at the forefront of medical care since 1927, when we first opened to patients.
Quality & Safety
At UChicago Medicine, providing highly effective, safe patient care is central to everything we do. Here, teams of experts work together to ensure we follow the highest standards for quality care — from preventing infections and continuously improving surgical care to achieving high success rates and patient volumes for even the most complex procedures.
Research & Innovation
UChicago Medicine is home to physicians who are pioneers in their fields, bringing research to reality and making the extraordinary possible. From breakthroughs in immunotherapy to game-changing orthopaedics, we bring you the most advanced health care treatments.