Assistant Professor of Surgery Associate Director, Complex General Surgical Oncology Fellowship Program
UChicago Faculty Physicians hold faculty positions with the University of Chicago and provide care for patients on the academic health system’s main campus in Hyde Park and in care centers throughout the Chicago region.Close
[MUSIC PLAYING] Hi. My name is Oliver Eng. I am a surgical oncologist here at the University of Chicago. I specialize in cancers of the digestive or gastrointestinal tract as well as cancers that are spread outside of the tract into the abdominal cavity.
So my main clinical interests are in cancers of the digestive tract or gastrointestinal tract and especially in cancers that have spread into the abdominal cavity or peritoneal cavity. And my specialty focuses on cancers particularly that have spread in this area, which involves complex surgery and sometimes heated chemotherapy in the abdomen.
My philosophy of care is that every patient's journey through their cancer is different, and, as providers, it is our responsibility to provide them the best guidance through this journey that is very individualized and involve lots of team members, not just ourselves as physicians, but our physical therapists, our gastroenterologists, our medical oncologists and radiation oncologists, to make a consensus agreement as to what is best for the patients going forward.
The most rewarding aspect of my job is being there for patients and helping them through their journey through cancer, because I realize that it is a difficult journey in many ways, and I think having the privilege of playing a major role in that journey is actually the most rewarding aspect.
Oliver Eng, MD, is a double board-certified surgeon and surgical oncologist who focuses on the treatment of cancers in the abdomen, and in particular, cancers that have spread to the peritoneum, the membrane that lines the abdominal cavity. He specializes in complex cytoreductive surgery and heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for locally advanced and metastatic cancers which have disseminated in the abdomen. HIPEC entails delivering high-dose heated chemotherapy in the operating room after surgical removal of visible disease, and is effective in different types of cancers.
Dr. Eng treats a variety of abdominal cancers and is skilled at minimally invasive approaches for gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary malignancies, which enables the removal of tumors through small incisions. He also has expertise in the management of sarcomas, neuroendocrine tumors, metastatic cancers to the liver and malignant bowel obstructions.
Dr. Eng has published numerous peer-reviewed manuscripts in journals, including JAMA Surgery, Annals of Surgery, and the British Journal of Cancer. His research centers on better understanding the molecular and immunologic characteristics of peritoneal tumors, developing innovative therapies for metastatic disease and optimizing outcomes and care in cancer patients. He has presented his work nationally and internationally, and he is the principal investigator or co-investigator on multiple clinical trials. He serves on the editorial board for a variety of scientific journals and has been appointed to a number of national committees.
In 2021, Dr. Eng was selected as a recipient of the 40 Under 40 in Cancer Award, an honor recognizing the contributions being made across the field of cancer by rising stars and emerging leaders under the age of 40.
Areas of Expertise
- Rutgers University Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- City of Hope National Medical Center
Memberships & Medical Societies
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society for Enhanced Recovery
- American Society for Peritoneal Surface Malignancies
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Sigma Xi
- Society of Asian Academic Surgeons
- Society of Surgical Oncology
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
To Request an Appointment
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
UChicago Medicine River East
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient
Surgeons Oliver Eng, MD, and Kiran Turaga, MD, MPH, join a patient to discuss the many types of abdominal cancers, the latest techniques for treatment, such as HIPEC, and the extensive cancer care resources offered at UChicago Medicine.Watch Video Watch Video With Transcript