Dr. Charlton has served as president of the International Liver Transplant Society. He has applied his expertise in editorial roles with leading liver disease and transplantation journals, including associate editor for Hepatology, Transplantation, American Journal of Transplantation and Liver Transplantation. He was also a founding associate editor for Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
Additionally, Dr. Charlton served as a principal investigator on grants and as a study section member for the National Institutes of Health, including studies of the pathophysiology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and viral hepatitis. He has published more than 200 manuscripts, and is a lead investigator for national and international clinical trials in viral hepatitis and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
Dr. Charlton has served as a panel member and writer for the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) for the management of hepatitis C and also for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. He is the only physician to serve on both panels.
Dr. Charlton was one of the physicians leaders of the transplant care team that made history in December 2018 after performing two triple-organ transplants within 27 hours, replacing the failing hearts, livers and kidneys of 29-year-olds Sarah McPharlin and Daru Smith.
- Internal Medicine
- Transplant Hepatology
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Memberships & Medical Societies
- International Liver Transplantation Society
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Charing Cross and Westminster Medical College
- Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
- University of Vermont Medical Center
- Mayo Clinic; University of Vermont Medical Center
News & ResearchView Published Papers
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
Our list of accepted insurance providers is subject to change at any time. You should contact your insurance company to confirm UChicago Medicine participates in their network before scheduling your appointment. If your insurance company is not listed here, or if you have any other questions, please contact Managed.Care@uchospitals.edu.
To Request an Appointment
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
UChicago Medicine River East
UChicago Medicine Transplant Evaluation Hinsdale
UChicago Medicine at Ingalls - Flossmoor
UChicago Medicine Transplant Evaluation Peoria
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient
Alcoholic Liver Disease and Liver Transplant: Expert Q&A
Liver transplant surgeons Dr. Rolf Barth, Dr. John Fung and Dr. John LaMattina, as well as liver diseases expert Dr. Michael Charlton, address this nationwide issue of increased alcohol abuse during the pandemic in a live Q&A.