Lawrence S. Zachary, MD, is a nationally recognized expert in plastic and reconstructive surgery. Dr. Zachary specializes in body contouring, using surgical precision to remove excess skin, caused by massive weight loss following bariatric surgery. He performs a range of surgical procedures to preserve health and cosmetic outcomes after weight loss surgery, including abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), liposuction, and body lift procedures of the thigh, arm, and face.
Dr. Zachary is also particularly skilled in breast surgery. His specialties include breast augmentation following massive weight loss, and reconstructive techniques in patients who have had breast cancer surgery.
Also a skilled hand surgeon, Dr. Zachary provides surgical treatment for vascular disorders, such as Raynaud's phenomenon and scleroderma. He specializes in microsurgical techniques to restore blood flow in the fingers (digital sympathectomy) and hands (palmar sympathectomy).
Dr. Zachary is also a member of the physician team in the Center for Pelvic Health. He helps reconstruct the pelvic floor in patients who have had surgery for cancer or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
An active physician researcher, Dr. Zachary leads clinical trials designed to improve breast surgery techniques. He has authored numerous peer-reviewed articles and abstracts, in addition to several book chapters, on topics in reconstructive surgery.
Additionally, Dr. Zachary recognizes the complex individual needs and challenges patients experience after having weight loss surgery. In this interest, he established one of Chicago's first post-bariatric surgery support groups. He also once organized a fashion show to help patients celebrate the positive changes in their health.
- Plastic Surgery
Memberships & Medical Societies
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- Midwestern Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Rheumatism Association
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Burn Association
- Wound Healing Society
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
- University of Chicago Medicine
- University of Chicago Medicine
- Medstar Union Memorial Hospital
News & ResearchView Published Papers
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
Our list of accepted insurance providers is subject to change at any time. You should contact your insurance company to confirm UChicago Medicine participates in their network before scheduling your appointment. If your insurance company is not listed here, or if you have any other questions, please contact Managed.Care@uchospitals.edu.
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient