Professor of Surgery
A clinically integrated network of physicians and providers employed by UChicago Medicine who offer care in inpatient, community, ambulatory, acute care or extended care settings.Close
Lawrence S. Zachary, MD, is a nationally recognized expert in plastic and reconstructive surgery. Dr. Zachary specializes in body contouring, using surgical precision to remove excess skin, caused by massive weight loss following bariatric surgery. He performs a range of surgical procedures to preserve health and cosmetic outcomes after weight loss surgery, including abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), liposuction, and body lift procedures of the thigh, arm, and face.
Dr. Zachary is also particularly skilled in breast surgery. His specialties include breast augmentation following massive weight loss, and reconstructive techniques in patients who have had breast cancer surgery.
Also a skilled hand surgeon, Dr. Zachary provides surgical treatment for vascular disorders, such as Raynaud's phenomenon and scleroderma. He specializes in microsurgical techniques to restore blood flow in the fingers (digital sympathectomy) and hands (palmar sympathectomy).
Dr. Zachary is also a member of the physician team in the Center for Pelvic Health. He helps reconstruct the pelvic floor in patients who have had surgery for cancer or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
An active physician researcher, Dr. Zachary leads clinical trials designed to improve breast surgery techniques. He has authored numerous peer-reviewed articles and abstracts, in addition to several book chapters, on topics in reconstructive surgery.
Additionally, Dr. Zachary recognizes the complex individual needs and challenges patients experience after having weight loss surgery. In this interest, he established one of Chicago's first post-bariatric surgery support groups. He also once organized a fashion show to help patients celebrate the positive changes in their health.
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
- University of Chicago Medicine
- University of Chicago Medicine; Detroit Medical Center
- MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
Memberships & Medical Societies
- American Medical Association
- Midwestern Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons
- American Burn Association
- American College of Surgeons
- American Rheumatism Association
- Wound Healing Society
- Aetna POS
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO
- BCBS HMO (HMOI)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- Coventry Health Plan PPO
- Great West PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice / Choice Plus
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
To Request an Appointment
Weiss Memorial Hospital - Uptown
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient