James K. Liao, MD, is an expert in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiac diseases, including atherosclerosis (a build up of fatty deposits in artery walls), peripheral vascular disease (hardening/narrowing of the arteries), dyslipidemia (high blood cholesterol), and cerebrovascular disease. He specializes in non-invasive cardiology, using genetic and novel clinical markers and advanced imaging techniques to diagnose diseases of the heart and vascular system.
An active researcher, Dr. Liao's work examines the role of lipid-lowering medications in ischemic stroke, coronary artery disease, and heart failure. In particular, he focuses on identifying novel signaling pathways that control vascular function in both normal and diseased states. He has served as the primary investigator in numerous basic and clinical studies, working to translate his findings from the laboratory to patient care. His research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the American Heart Association (AHA).
Dr. Liao has made significant contributions to medical literature, publishing more than 125 original articles in scientific journals, including Nature, Science, Nature Medicine, Journal of Clinical Investigation and Circulation. He is an Established Investigator of the American Heart Association and has served on editorial boards of prominent journals. He is recognized as an elected member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI) and the Association of American Physicians (AAP).
As a mentor, Dr. Liao has trained more than 60 research fellows, many of whom have won or were finalists for the prestigious American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology Young Investigator Awards. Additionally, he is frequently invited to give lectures on the management of dyslipidemia, vascular disease and ischemic stroke at national and international conferences.
Dr. Liao is consistently listed among the Top Physicians by "Who's Who in American Doctors."
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
Memberships & Medical Societies
- American College of Cardiology
- American College of Physicians
- American Federation for Medical Research
- American Heart Association
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- Association of American Physicians
- Chinese American Medical Society
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Massachusetts General Hospital
News & ResearchView Published Papers
- Aetna HMO (specialists only)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO (specialists only)
- BCBS HMO (HMOI) (specialists only)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- CountyCare *see insurance page
- Aetna Better Health *see insurance page
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice Plus POS/PPO
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO) (specialists only)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap
- Aetna Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- BCBS Medicare Advantage HMO & PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Choice PPO
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Choice PFFS
- Humana Medicare Advantage Gold Plus HMO
- United Choice HMO (specialists only)
- University of Chicago Health Plan (UCHP)
Our list of accepted insurance providers is subject to change at any time. You should contact your insurance company to confirm UChicago Medicine participates in their network before scheduling your appointment. If your insurance company is not listed here, or if you have any other questions, please contact Managed.Care@uchospitals.edu.
To Request an Appointment
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine (DCAM) - Hyde Park
UChicago Medicine River East
To Refer a PatientRefer a Patient