Edward Garrity, MD, is an internationally recognized expert in the care and treatment of adults with advanced lung disease, including emphysema and pulmonary vascular disease. Physicians from around the Midwest refer patients to Dr. Garrity. He is an expert in medications and other therapies that can help improve lung function in severely diseased lungs.
A pioneer in lung transplantation, Dr. Garrity helped start one of the first successful lung transplant programs in the Midwest. He has cared for more than 600 lung transplant patients since 1986. Dr. Garrity and his colleagues provide pre- and post-transplant care for about 15 new lung and heart-lung transplant patients each year.
Dr. Garrity has a special interest in the treatment of cystic fibrosis with medications and lung transplantation. He has helped hundreds of adults and children with this debilitating disease.
A respected researcher, Dr. Garrity has published dozens of papers on pulmonary-related topics, including review articles on lung transplantation that have helped guide treatment throughout the country. Prior research interests include chest wall mechanics and respiratory muscle function. He also oversees clinical trials testing the effect of experimental drugs in preventing infection and rejection in lung transplant patients.
Dr. Garrity’s opinion is sought by other physicians from around the world. He has spoken at national and international conferences. He has also chaired or participated in advisory committees for the American Lung Association, the Gift of Hope, and especially, the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS).
For several years, Dr. Garrity has been named a "Top Doctor" by Castle and Connolly Medical Ltd.
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
- Internship: Loyola University Medical Center
- Residency: Loyola University Medical Center
- Fellowship: University of Chicago Medicine
- Loyola University Medical Center
Memberships & Medical Societies
- United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Thoracic Society
- American Federation for Clinical Research
- American College of Physicians
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- American Society of Transplantation
- Regional Organ Bank of Illinois (ROBI)
- Aetna POS
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna PPO
- BCBS Blue Precision HMO
- BCBS HMO (HMOI)
- BCBS PPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- Coventry Health Plan PPO
- Great West PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- United Choice / Choice Plus
- United Options (PPO)
- United Select (HMO & EPO)
- United W500 Emergent Wrap