Our pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition team provides diagnostic, treatment and support services for pediatric patients with feeding, gastrointestinal and liver problems.
At the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital, we offer a full array of diagnostic tests for gastrointestinal disorders, including advanced screenings that are not commonly available at other medical centers.
Some of the diagnostic tests available include:
- Breath 13C-urea testing to diagnose H. pylori gastritis
- Breath hydrogen testing to detect carbohydrate intolerance
- 24-hour impedence and pH monitoring to diagnose gastroesophageal reflux
- State-of-the-art endoscopy services for children of all ages
- Video capsule endoscopy
- Push enteroscopy
- Pancreatic and biliary tract studies
- Fecal microbiota transplantation
- Advanced techniques for sampling tissues in the esophagus, pancreas, stomach, and rectum — including endoscopic ultrasound and interventional endoscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP), a minimally invasive technique to assess the pancreas and bile ducts to diagnose disease and perform procedures such as biospies, removing gallstones and widening narrowed ducts
In cooperation with our pediatric surgeons, we offer a broad range of treatments to manage acute and long-term feeding and digestive problems. These therapies include:
- The latest medications for digestive problems, including novel treatments that are not available to the general public
- Therapeutic endoscopy procedures, including percutaneous gastrostomy tube placement
- Colonoscopy to remove polyps
- Sclerotherapy of esophageal varices, a treatment for bleeding in the esophagus
- Interventional radiologic procedures
- Minimally invasive surgery to correct gastroesophageal reflux disease, pyloric stenosis, and other anatomical disorders of the gastrointestinal tract
- Hypnosis for gastrointestinal functional disorders
- Espophageal dilation, used to stretch or open parts of the esophagus that have narrowed so children can swallow easily
For patients and families dealing with gastrointestinal disorders, we understand that proper nutrition is key to your child's continued health. Our nutrition specialists work with you and your family to understand exactly what your child should/should not be eating. Our goal is to promote healthy growth and development in your child, and we will continue to monitor and adapt dietary plans according to your child's needs.
Our nutritionists will provide a comprehensive dietary evaluation of your child, provide feeding and nutrition guidelines, and develop an individualized treatment plan that enables you to practice a healthy diet at home. These specialists will be an important part of your ongoing care team, and will provide educational support throughout your child's care.
You can also make an appointment with our providers by:
– Scheduling a virtual video visit to see a provider from the comfort of your home
– Requesting an online second opinion from our specialists
To speak to someone directly, please call 1-888-824-0200. If you have symptoms of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
* Required Field