When entrusting your child to the hearing loss experts at the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital, you can expect a treatment plan that is personalized for your child's specific needs. Our multidisciplinary team collaborates to create an individualized treatment plan that is designed to effectively and efficiently improve your child’s hearing loss.
For some children, medication will be enough to treat their condition. For instance, if he or she has frequent ear infections, we may prescribe antibiotic pills or drops. Steroids can also be used to treat inflammation or sudden hearing loss.
When fluid from ear infections builds up behind the eardrum, or if your child gets frequent ear infections, ear tubes can be placed in the eardrum to help regulate air pressure and prevent fluid from recurring. Typically, the tube will fall out on its own and your child’s eardrum will heal.
Repairing Middle Ear Bones
There are several surgical treatments available for the outer and middle ear conditions:
- Ossicular Chain Reconstruction (Ossiculoplasty): When your child has one or more damages or missing middle ear bones, we can replace the bones using prosthetics that mimic our natural hearing bones and improve overall hearing.
- Tympanoplasty: A perforated eardrum that has not healed on its own can be surgically closed to improve hearing and prevent infection. During a tympanoplasty, we place graft materials (such as cartilage or fascia) under the eardrum to promote the eardrum to heal.
- Stapedotomy: For children with otosclerosis (a condition where the third hearing bone, the stapes bone, stops vibrating correctly), a stapedotomy removes the existing stapes bone and replacing it with a prosthetic device.
- Aural Atresia Repair: If your child who were born without an ear canal or developed severe narrowing of the ear canal, performing aural atresia repair will restore the natural sound to the middle ear. This procedure involves creating a new eardrum with fascia tissue and a skin graft to create a new ear canal.
For children who need them, a hearing aid can amplify sound in their ear and improve overall hearing. In order to deliver the level of hearing restoration needed, we offer a variety of hearing aid devices. Our pediatric audiologists will help you select the best hearing aid, discuss how to wear it, ensure it fits comfortably and program it to your child’s unique pattern of hearing loss
When hearing aids are no longer providing benefit to your child, a cochlear implant can help restore hearing. Unlike a hearing aid that only amplifies sound, cochlear implants actually transmits an electrical signal directly to your child’s inner ear (cochlea). After the cochlear implant is turned on, your child will attend quarterly speech therapy sessions to develop his or her listening and spoken language. The goal is to allow your child to improve their ability to communicate and it can result in a remarkable improvement in speech and language development. Learn more about cochlear implants
Telemedicine at Comer Children's
For your convenience and safety, we offer secure and easy virtual visits by video or phone for most pediatric care, with the only exception being regularly scheduled well-child visits. We want to ensure that every child has the best healthcare possible.
Whether you are facing a complex health issue or difficult treatment decision, getting a second opinion can help you make an informed decision about your care. Get an online second opinion from one of our experts without having to leave home.
Meet Our Pediatric Hearing Loss Team
Pediatric Otolaryngology (ENT)
You can also make an appointment with our providers by:
– Scheduling a virtual video visit to see a provider from the comfort of your home
– Requesting an online second opinion from our specialists
– Filling out an online questionnaire (e-visit) to get a same-day diagnosis and treatment for common conditions.
To speak to someone directly, please call 1-773-702-1865. If you have symptoms of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
* Required Field