COVID-19 Statement: The practicum program at Comer Children’s Hospital has not been cancelled or discontinued due to the current pandemic. At this time, Comer Children’s Hospital is accepting applications for practicum.
The University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital offers a practicum program for students pursuing a career in child life who are currently enrolled in a master’s program. We accept applications for spring, summer, and fall sessions. Practicum students will complete a minimum of 120 hours during their experience and should plan on at least two 6-hour shifts per week.
Students are given opportunities that will familiarize them with the child life profession through observation and some hand-on experience in clinical settings. The student's clinical supervisor (a certified child life specialist) and other staff members in the program provide supervision, instruction, and guidance.
Criteria for Child Life Practicum Candidates
Due to the large amount of applications received, all applications must be received by the date listed on the second page of the application.
Before applying for practicum placement in the Child Life and Family Education Program at Comer Children's, please review the following criteria to make certain that you qualify:
- Students will be working towards a master's in child development, early childhood education, or related field. Students will have experience working with young children and/or infants. We do not have a practicum program for undergraduate students at this time.
- Students must be enrolled in a program at the time of the practicum.
- Students will have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in their graduate program.
- Students will have a minimum of 100 hours working/volunteering with hospitalized children.
- Students will provide two letters of professional reference.
Requirements for Child Life Practicum Application Process
To submit an application, please observe the following steps:
1. View and download the application form (PDF).
2. Complete the application form, print and mail it along with a copy of:
- 1 page response for: Why have you decided to apply to Comer Children's Hospital for this practicum opportunity?
- Your resume
- Unofficial transcripts (undergraduate and graduate)
- Two written professional references (one from an academic source)
- All recommendation letters must be sent in a sealed envelope with the sender’s signature across the seal
The University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital
Child Life and Family Education, MC 8008
Attn: Aimee Karas
5721 S. Maryland Ave., Room K-135
Chicago, IL 60637-1470
The practicum coordinator will review your application and notify you of the status of your application. We complete a two-step interview process after applications are reviewed. You will be notified if you are selected to participate in an interview.