Having a child in the hospital can be a difficult time for your family. At the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital, our social workers play an integral role in providing the best possible care for your child during his or her hospital stay and outpatient treatment.
Who We Are
Our pediatric social work team is dedicated to integrating your child’s social and psychological needs within the medical care our experts provide. We are masters-level clinicians with additional training to provide specialized expertise in a variety of areas. Our role as part of the pediatric medical team is to offer you support, information and education related to your child’s care. We provide services to children and families during inpatient hospitalizations, and when visiting an outpatient office or clinic.
Our pediatric social work team is guided by core professional values promoting service, social justice, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity and competence.
What We Do
As a part of your health care team, we offer the following services:
- Address cultural needs
- Provide counseling and support
- Enable connection with community resources
- Assist with adjustment to illness
- Manage crisis intervention
- Help process grief and loss
- Provide advocacy related to medical treatment and other services
- Participate in discharge planning
- Contribute to multidisciplinary care team
- Connect to trauma services
- Facilitate communication between family and medical team
Pediatric social workers can also assist with needs related to the following public aid programs:
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Early Intervention
- Legal referrals
- First Transit transportation
Ronald McDonald House
Ronald McDonald House charities provide a “home away from home” when your child is being treated at Comer Children’s. The Ronald McDonald House near us is located at 5444 S. Drexel Ave., Chicago, IL 60637. RMH also has a limited number of family sleep rooms located inside Comer Children's.
If you are interested in staying at Ronald McDonald House, you need a referral from your child’s social worker. Call 773-702-3087 to connect with your child’s social worker. Learn more about the referral process.
How to Contact Us
The Department of Social Work provides 24-hour coverage, seven days a week. Regular hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays. The on-call service is available evenings and weekends for patient care emergencies. Please call the Department of Social Work at 773-702-3087 to reach your social worker or ask your child’s nurse, physician or other care provider to page.