Why Visit Our Pediatric Epilepsy Center
We believe all children with refractory epilepsy should get a second opinion from at an accredited epilepsy center. If you bring your child to the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital, we work with your referring neurologist and your child’s pediatrician to review diagnosis and treatment. We also offer tests and treatments that may not be available at your community hospital.
Some of the questions we address:
- Have your child's medications been given adequate time to work?
- Have the appropriate medications for your child’s seizure disorder been tried?
- Have other treatment options been explained or explored when, or in case, medications fail?
In addition to providing anticonvulsant (anti-seizure) medication for your child, we conduct a reassessment, looking for genetic causes of epilepsy and subtle brain abnormalities (cortical malformations) that can cause seizures. If we find your child has these abnormalities or genetic predispositions, there may be more effective treatment options available.
We also review your child's test results. We may recommend recording your child’s actual seizures to better understand his or her epilepsy. Once we’ve completed diagnostic testing (EEGs, neuroimaging and, possibly, genetic testing), we provide treatment options based on the results.
Maximize Your Child's Treatment Options
Because we are a Level 4 Epilepsy Center for children, the treatment options we offer are often more extensive than what is available at other hospitals. Some of the treatment options available at our Pediatric Epilepsy Center are:
- Targeted, minimally invasive surgical techniques performed with sophisticated technology
- Responsive neurostimulation (RNS)
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS)
- Ketogenic diets
To provide additional options to our patients, we often participate in pediatric epilepsy clinical trials, testing new drugs that are not yet widely available.
Request an Appointment
You can also make an appointment with our providers by:
– Scheduling a virtual video visit to see a provider from the comfort of your home
– Requesting an online second opinion from our specialists
– Filling out an online questionnaire (e-visit) to get a same-day diagnosis and treatment for common conditions.
To speak to someone directly, please call 1-888-824-0200. If you have symptoms of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
* Required Field