Definitive Diagnosis for Pediatric Epilepsy
Experts at the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital have the skill, experience and technology to make a definitive epilepsy diagnosis, which is essential to developing the best treatment plan for your child.
At our Pediatric Epilepsy Center, specialists analyze results from your child's comprehensive diagnostic evaluation to:
- Confirm or determine the definitive diagnosis
- Determine which type of seizure your child is experiencing
- Identify the cause of the seizures your child is experiencing
- Pinpoint the origin (also called the focus or source) of your child's seizures
- Identify the area or areas of the brain affected by your child's seizures
This is all valuable information that helps our team of experts recommend effective treatment options to control your child's seizures.
Comprehensive Evaluation & Testing for Pediatric Epilepsy
We conduct a thorough evaluation using diagnostic tests to gain as much knowledge as we can about your child's seizures. We offer testing even if your child has already been diagnosed with epilepsy.
We ask questions about your child's and your immediate family members' medical history. We also want to know as much as we can about your child’s seizures. Since he or she may not remember much, we want to gather information about the seizure symptoms from someone who was present when the seizure or seizures occurred.
As best you can, be prepared to answer questions like:
- When did the seizure or seizures occur?
- What symptoms did your child experience?
- How long did the symptoms last?
The results of a physical exam can help us determine whether specific parts of your child’s brain are working properly. For example, if a child's reflexes are not normal, it may indicate that some parts of the brain aren’t working as expected, which could help guide us to a specific diagnosis.
Request an Appointment
You can also make an appointment with our providers by:
– Scheduling a virtual video visit to see a provider from the comfort of your home
– Requesting an online second opinion from our specialists
– Filling out an online questionnaire (e-visit) to get a same-day diagnosis and treatment for common conditions.
To speak to someone directly, please call 1-888-824-0200. If you have symptoms of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
* Required Field