Early Mobilization in the ICU
To study all ICU patients with an independent baseline functional status , who experience a critical illness requiring intubation and mechanical ventilation evaluating long-term cognitive and executive function and long term cost effectiveness in survivors who required mechanical ventilation.
18 Years and up
Accepting Healthy Volunteers?
- Intubated and MV > 24, < 96 hours
- Baseline Barthel Index Functional Score > 70, functional at home
- Rapidly changing neurological conditions (e.g. stroke)
- Cardiac arrest as cause for respiratory failure
- Elevated intracranial pressure
- Pregnancy (due to inability to provide continuous fetal monitoring)
- Terminal condition (life expectancy < 6 months)
- Traumatic brain injury, multiple limb fractures, pelvic fractures,
- Severe chronic pain syndrome on admission
- Respiratory Failure