All neurointerventional surgical procedures and diagnostic cerebral angiograms are performed on the Hyde Park campus in Chicago.
All patients who need neurointerventional surgical procedures must have current laboratory tests completed within 30 days before the procedure date. The lab tests necessary for these procedures are:
- Blood urea nitrogen (BUN)
- Creatinine (CK) with glomerular filtration rate (GFR), if contrast is being administered
- Partial thromboplastin time (PTT)
- Platelet (P)
- Prothombin time (PT)
If you are unable to have your tests performed ahead of time, you will be sent to the hospital lab to have your blood drawn the morning of your procedure. If you are allergic to IVP dye or any type of contrast given during any type of imaging study, you will need to be pre-medicated. Please contact our neurointerventional surgery team at 773-702-6514 for detailed instructions on pre-medication requirements.
The neurointerventional team will inform you in advance if anesthesia will be necessary. If your surgical procedure requires anesthesia — or if you specifically want anesthesia — you will be advised to have an anesthesia pre-operative consultation. This consultation and your pre-surgical labs can be performed on the same day.
A member of the neurointerventional nursing team will contact you the night before your procedure. If we do not reach you directly, we will leave a brief message with follow-up contact information. In accordance with HIPAA guidelines on privacy, our voice message will include only a limited amount of information.
It is important that you follow the instructions below on the day of your procedure:
- Please arrive at the radiology clinic one hour before your scheduled appointment time. From there, a staff member will direct you to the neurointerventional angiography suite. You may need to allow more time if you need to have labs drawn on the day of the procedure.
- If you are having anesthesia, do not eat or drink anything after midnight. The anesthesia clinic will provide you with additional instructions during your consultation with them.
- If you are not having anesthesia, we advise you to take any heart, blood pressure, seizure and breathing medications with a sip of water in the morning. All information will be reviewed with you during our confirmation call the night before the procedure.
Following your diagnostic cerebral/spinal angiography:
You will remain in the recovery area for two to six hours. During that time, we will ask you to remain very still and in the same position. After the recovery time is completed, you will be discharged and can go home in the care of a responsible adult.
Following your neurointerventional surgical procedures:
If you receive coiling, stenting or embolization procedures, an inpatient stay will be necessary. The hospitalization may include admission to our neuro-intensive care unit on the day of the surgery and/or another night in our neuro-inpatient unit. Patients generally can be discharged the following morning. The hospital stay is necessary for frequent monitoring by our staff. You should arrange for a responsible adult to take you home and care for you after discharge.
Request an Appointment
The information you provide will enable us to assist you as efficiently as possible. A representative will contact you within one to two business days to help you schedule an appointment.
Please note this electronic request form is not for same- or next-day appointments. If you prefer to speak to someone directly, please call 1-773-702-6222. If you have symptoms of an urgent nature, please call your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
* Required Field